Do a quickwrite about the following:
- the future
- 5 years into the future
- 5 years into your future
answer the following questions in a few sentences:
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Name and describe a specific place.
- What are you doing with you 9-5 time in 5 years? What do you do for fun?
- What is your biggest physical change?
- What is your general attitude toward life?
- What do you miss most about your high school self/life?
Read John Updike’s “Ex-basketball player”. Notice the following things about it: Notice the details about the setting, Flick’s physical description and the attitude Flick portrays. Which lines do you find the most interesting and why?
Now it’s your turn to compose a poem that forsees your future possibilities. Using the brainstorming from earlier, create a poem similar to “Ex-basketball Player” that predicts what you will be like in 5 years time. Write in THIRD PERSON and inlcuded specific details from your brainstorm.
A final typed draft is due on Tuesday, Nov. 14. You will also need to have an address where you might be able to receive mail in 5 years…your parents??